August 09, 2005

Presenting Apinaraivo / Monkey Rage

It is only logical seeing as my previous post has been an explanation to why I am still creating custom content for an old game (Quake), that this post is about my latest actually finished project: a single player level for Quake dual-titled Apinaraivo / Monkey Rage.


This project took me about 6 months to do: creating the world geometry took about 5 months with the final month spent on tweaking lighting, gameplay, doing some quick fixes here and there and testing, testing, testing. I initially started doing the map in WorldCraft, an old but easy to use level design tool, but about 1 month into it I was persuaded by some fellow designers to switch to GTKRadiant which proved to be a much superior editor.


If you have ever played any custom content for Quake, you are likely to recognize some of the textures I've used here, they are "IKBase" by Fingers and "Speedbase" by Speedy. To my knowledge, I am the first person to successfully combine them in one map, creating a rather unique look. The map contains 6445 brushes (brushes are what you can call "building blocks" of a map) so it's nearly pushing the technical limitations set by the Quake engine.


If you have Quake installed and would like to try out this map, it's 2.5 MB zipped and can be downloaded [right here]. If you've never played a custom Quake map before, detailed installation instructions can be found in araivo.txt, which is inside the archive file. Comments and feedback are appreciated.

4 comments:

The Complimenting Commenter said...

That looks so detailed and cool. Very well designed. Bravo for going the extra limit.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, good map, few flaws. I had some serious problems figuring out how to beat the boss, but other than that it was very fun and rarely frustrating. On to e1m2rmx!

Dak-Ind said...

i play guild wars, adn everquest... your screen shots are beautiful, better than everquest, adn on par with guild wars. keep it up!

Anonymous said...

i haven't played single player in ages yet I had a real blast playing it. And it is a seriously sound looking map. Love those large swooping curved paths. Good job - and ps - I can see how some parts of this map would make a great duel or even tdm map

Drako